Sunday, May 4, 2008

Poems


Wishful Thinking

If I could draw, I would draw myself on a deserted island
Lying in a hammock with my love and coconut palms
Singing us lullaby's

If I could dream an endless dream
I'd dream myself to Tahitti
I'd ride a dolphin through the waves and warm myself in the sun

If I could wish just one wish that was guarenteed to come true
I'd wish my mother back to health and then she'd never be blue

If I could freeze a place in time
I'd return to my childhood days
Remember what it was like to pretend, imagine and believe
And play

If I could go back to a time when I was innocent
I would not have kissed so many boys
But only the ones who were worthy

But who am I to live in regret
For the things that cannot be

Like a little bird afraid to fly
Or a cat running up a tree

I must move forward, I must stand tall
Reaching out for the moment and loving it all

written 2.26.05


Work

A job, a building, a place I go
To make money, make ends meet, this much I know

But how it makes me tired and ill
My hopes and dreams it will never fulfill

I feel each wasted hour passing me by
Office politics and bullshit, I breath out a heavy sigh

To think it costs money just to simply exist
Doesn't make much sense to me, I want to raise a fist

written 10.11.05


What I Learned in College

I learned that naps aren't only for pre-schoolers

I learned how to make a pot of coffee

I learned what it means to leave home

I learned how it feels to be broke

I learned how to bullshit my way through classes that didn't interest me

I learned that 'roommate' does not automatically mean 'best friend'

I learned what it is to have my heart broken

And I learned what it means to find true love

I learned that good friendships last across the miles

And that it gets harder to make good friends as you get older

I learned that I can study for hours on end and still do badly on a test

I learned that I can plow through and perserve long after I think possible

I learned that parking tickets are easier to come by than the flu

I learned that half your grades are your attitude

I learned that it's easy to lose yourself without a positive self estemn and a strong sense of self

I learned that I am still a bit naive and really need to think things through before making impulsive decisions about certain things

I learned that you don't have to drink and party to have fun in college

It's taken me 5 years, or maybe I should say 23, but I've finally realized who I am and that is truly powerful

written 3.11.05

No comments: