Sunday, March 23, 2008

Sugar Cookie Ice Cream


3.21.08. Big sighs of uncertanity. Yesterday I went to a marketing seminar in Tampa and I met other young people who are also in my position in the architecture, engineering and construction industry. We talked about our struggles and frustrations, about what our job function means, about the industry and about what works and what doesn't. I draw strength from other people's struggles - their journey and their questions. I thrive on personal growth and development. They didn't all LOVE their jobs and they seemed just as uncertain as me. This brought relief.

"A woman in the moon, is singing to the earth" -Cibo Matto

We took these quizzes to determine if we are more right brained or left brained and I'm like duh I don't need to take this, I already know I'm completely right brained. But I was really surprised. My answers were equal. I had 9 right brained answers and 9 left brained on how I process information. This is kind of cool because it means I could probably develop my left brain function more if I wanted to. Word. To take quiz: http://www.intelliscript.net/test_area/questionnaire/questionnaire.cgi?q=right_brain_left_brain_2

"The best time to relax is when you don't have time for it" -Sydney Harris

I had a one on one with my boss too and it went really well. He told me what I need to work on, and it wasn't horrible. He mentioned attention to detail which I know, and that's basically because my head is up in the clouds so often so I sometimes miss things. It also has to do with time constraints and knowing I need to allow production time so it's always a challenge. He told me I'm doing a good job and that I need to let him know when I get overwhelmed and stressed out. I'm not good at this because I told him I don't want him to think I can't handle it all. He said not to worry, that he won't think that. He said he is thinking about getting me a full-time assistant because he knows there is a lot on my plate. He asked about my longterm goals and I told him I want to develop leadership skills and he said he would help me as much as he can. He said he sees my role evolving into more business development eventually and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm more of the writer, the creative resource behind the scenes. I don't know if I could sell or how good I would be at public relations but I guess it'd be good experience to get under my belt if afterall, ultimately I want to run my own business...I'd have to be good at getting out there and telling people about the company. So yeah, anything I can practice at now to help me in the bigger picture will be good.

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without it" - Tennessee Williams

1 comment:

Jazz said...

Hey your blog has popped up in my word search. Ive been reading and can relate to everything you mention.

Anyway just wanted to pass on my website www.yourlifecrisis.com and www.thequarterlifetimes.com.

Trust me - a quarter life crisis is a bloody good thing!!!

Cheers

Jarrod
Cheers

Jarrod